Children will be provided with spellings every Monday to practice at home.
There will be additional homework given on a Friday for children to complete over the weekend.
In addition to this the children have a reading book every week which is suited to their level. Please encourage the children to discuss the book and answer questions about it.
It is very important that your child understands what they are reading as well as being able to read the words on the page. By asking them questions like this you will be able to help them understand the book a little more and improve their comprehension skills.
- What did the character say on page…?
- Why do you think the character did that?
- What do you think the character will do next?
- How do you think the character is feeling?
- Why do you think they are feeling like this?
- Can you read an adjective (describing word) that you can see on the page?
- What do you think of this character and why?
- What is your favourite part of the story and why?
- Is there any part of the book that you didn’t enjoy and why?
- Where are the characters in the story?
- Can you find… on page…? What does this mean?
- What do you think will happen next?
- Who would you like to meet in the story? Why?
- What do the pictures tell us?
- Find three words that describe your favourite character.
- Find a few words or phrases that tell you about the setting.
- Why do you think the author chose this title?
- What did the story make you think about?
- Would you like to be this characters friend? Why? Why not?